Wednesday, February 7, 2018

The Hamil-Stand



Tell me this is prurient smut that contributes to the moral degradation of society, and not the virtuous pursuit of beauty in fine art. That it is indecent, and inappropriate for public consumption. That a child exposed to it, not knowing what to make of it, would be worse off - and not better for experiencing firsthand an example of such culture and sophistication.

If I were to disagree, would that make me crazy? A menace to society, perhaps? An unremorseful fiend, intent on poisoning society with my radical views? How much room is there for subjectivity in a democracy? Is a perspective incorrigible merely on account of its deviation from accepted wisdom? Can 'good' and 'bad', 'right' and 'wrong', 'moral' and 'immoral', ever be viewed independent of cultural bias?

These are the questions I pose to you. The questions that my art is designed to evoke - my art, that is designed to provoke.

No comments:

Post a Comment