Monday, January 15, 2018

A Sex-Positive Brief


(See what I did there?)

I've spent a lot of time trying to hammer out the finer details of a Sex-Positive Platform (in my conception) - and I still believe this is a worthwhile exercise (maybe you'll see it someday, if I ever finish it) - but I think that it all boils down to this. It goes without saying that someone who is sex-positive takes a more positive than neutral (opposed to negative) stance toward sexuality. But more often than not, it's as simple as giving sexual matters the benefit of the doubt. In other words, not always assuming the worst, and leaning instead a little bit more toward the side of tolerance and forgiveness. Whether or not you think this is a better approach than a straight-up neutral or more critical perspective is up to you (and certainly the zeitgeist right now seems to favor heavy suspicion, which leads more toward the negative end of the spectrum, which I oppose). But that's what being sex-positive is about, and that's where I stand.

No comments:

Post a Comment