Tuesday, January 10, 2017

The Mirror of Reflection

Redundant, right? :-p


A holdover from this past holiday season. Really an outtake from the Home For The Holidays set. I don't know what it is about this mirror. I shot "The Mirror of Truth" in it twice, and this could have been number three, except I didn't actually think about it that much at the time. So it's just a normal mirror. But mirrors are fascinating things. I can imagine primitive cultures becoming superstitious about them. All they do is reflect the world as it is right back to you. But the ability to look at one's self, to see what others see when they look at you (albeit reversed) - it's like a conduit for the uniquely human(?) trait of self-awareness. For better or worse. As a self-portrait photographer and exhibitionist; as an anxious introvert prone to feeling self-conscious; it has a lot of power and meaning for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment