Friday, August 26, 2016

Pretty



I feel like people sometimes resent other people who are beautiful. And this impacts their own ability to enjoy that beauty, as well as the beautiful person's ability to recognize and revel in their own beauty. Thinking you're beautiful when you're not is one thing (although this is subjective), but what's wrong with acknowledging your own beauty, and benefiting from it? You're not "full of yourself" when you're athletic and you decide to join a sports team, or when you're smart and you decide to go to college.

Presenting myself as an icon of beauty - I'm not saying to the world that I am a wonderful human being simply because I am beautiful. I'm not even saying that I am smart, or athletic, or kind, or even fun to hang out with (although some of those things might be true - but I'll be the first one to tell you that not all of them are). I'm just saying that I'm beautiful.

And it's not because I think I'm beautiful - although I do, now. But I didn't always. It wasn't until other people told me that, that I began to realize it. And then I started to foster it, and capitalize on it, like anyone would do with any other talent. To quote Elle Fanning's character in The Neon Demon, "I can't sing, I can't dance, I can't write... no real talent. But I'm pretty, and I can make money off pretty." And what's wrong with that?

I hate to use this cliché, but don't hate me because I'm beautiful. Enjoy my beauty - I share it with the world not to make people like me (even though I like it when people like me), nor to make people jealous, but because beauty makes me happy, and I know that this is true for other people sometimes, and I want to use what I have to make other people happy too.

And I'd love it if we could all be happy together, instead of being jealous and petty, and thinking to ourselves, "oh, he's so pretty, I just hate him. I wish I was that pretty." Believe me when I tell you that whoever you are, you have traits that I envy, too. I am not a perfect human being. But this is one part of me that shines. Can you let me have that?

No comments:

Post a Comment