Sunday, January 20, 2013

Look, but don't touch

Have you ever noticed that people do a whole lot of touching each other? Hugs, handshakes, high fives, pats on the back. But when it comes to seeing a person's body, we cover up in fright. We save our nudity for special persons - close friends, close family, significant others - but touching a stranger is no big deal.

Well it just so happens that I'm the opposite way. I like touching people I am intimate with, but I don't like being touched by strangers. Even simple things like hugs and handshakes and high fives and pats on the back. On the other hand, it doesn't make a difference to me who sees my body and how much of it. My naked body is on public display, and I couldn't care less.

If you ask me, looking is far less intrusive than touching. But that's not the way social customs are, and so I have to be uncomfortable (forced to cover my body up, and forced to be touched by strangers), and be told that I'm eccentric for being the way I am.

No comments:

Post a Comment